Welcome, and thank you for visiting the new Bird Stamp Society website
Founded in 1986, we are an international, non profit Society affiliated to the British Thematic Association. The website has recently been updated, to give it a fresher look. We hope you enjoy what we are showing on the site and also find information and links of interest. We rely on you, out there, to keep us going and to keep us on the right tracks.
Membership of the Society is open to anyone worldwide who is interested in collecting bird stamps and bird-related postal history and philatelic material. It is available FROM JUST £5 a year and includes:
- A subscription to our quarterly full colour magazine Flight, packed with information and articles that can support collectors of bird theme stamps;
- An opportunity to join the Packet Scheme;
- Full access to the Members Only section of this website which includes access to the entire library of Flight back issues;
- A facility to exchange ideas and information with like-minded bird stamp enthusiasts; and
- ALL this from just £5 a year ….. If you are interested in joining, please visit our ‘Join Us’ page for further details. You would be made very welcome!!
Collecting bird stamps is now probably the most popular form of thematic philately.
Stamps depicting birds can be found with some of the earliest issues, but remained relatively uncommon until the mid-20th century when stamps illustrating birds really took off and began to appear in larger numbers.
Indeed, bird related issues were soon exceeding 1000’s each year and now as many as 1500 new issues may be placed annually on sale.
It has been estimated that altogether, worldwide, there are currently well in excess of 30,000 stamps with illustrations of birds. That’s a lot to collect !
The aim of our website is to:
Provide a bird stamp resource, through a dynamic Knowledge Base
To tempt folk to join our Society (that would be great!!)
And to provide members with a private area just for them!
We also have a Blog – where we encourage you to leave comments
The BSS Blog for all the latest News and Views