Welcome, and thank you for visiting the Bird Stamp Society website
An important notice to all UK members: Lockdown and the Packet service
Following the recent announcements of further lockdown measures across the UK, the Society will now suspend the circulation of stamp packets until further notice. We hope to resume the operation of the exchange packets when it is deemed safe and appropriate to do so.
Best wishes, and stay safe. Philip Cant ….. Packet Secretary
Founded in 1986, we are an international, non profit Society affiliated to the British Thematic Association.
Membership of the Society is open to anyone worldwide who is interested in collecting bird stamps and bird-related postal history and philatelic material. It is available FROM JUST £5 a year. Find out more by clicking here
Stamps depicting birds can be found with some of the earliest issues, but remained relatively uncommon until the mid-20th century when stamps illustrating birds really took off and began to appear in larger numbers. Indeed, bird related issues were soon exceeding 1000’s each year and now as many as 1500 new issues may be placed annually on sale.
It has been estimated that altogether, worldwide, there are currently well in excess of 30,000 stamps with illustrations of birds. That’s a lot to collect !
The site includes:
- A Knowledge Base , providing a resource of general and specialist articles, books and catalogues, links and FAQs;
- An About Us section detailing who we are, what we do, how to join us, and our latest Society documents;
- Details of our core quarterly publication, Flight;
- A Gallery of Bird stamp images;
- A Blog, updated by contributions from Bird Stamp Society members; and
- A Members Area