The Bird Stamp Society (BSS) is the membership organisation for the large number of collectors who specialise in bird stamps and relevant material. As the BSS is an organisation that collects, stores and uses personal data provided by you, we need to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation2018 (GDPR). We take your privacy seriously and this privacy notice sets out how we will use your data, who we share it with, how we keep it secure and your rights as a data subject.
What Information Do We Need From You?
When you apply to become a member of the BSS, (including if you are registering on behalf of a young person aged 16 or under), we will ask you for the following personal information: Contact Details: – Name; Address; Telephone Number; Email Address; Date of Birth (if under 16 years).
If you do not provide us with this information, it will affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits. We will not, for example, be able to distribute the quarterly magazine to you, or offer you the opportunity to join the Packet Scheme.
Why Do We Need Your Personal Information?
We need your Personal Information firstly , for Legitimate Purposes. We process your personal information to:
- Send you our quarterly magazine ‘Flight’ by post or email;
- Manage the services associated with the Packet Scheme;
- Correspond with you on member matters, including obtaining your views on, for example, AGM location, content of Flight and website development;
- Be able to respond to you regarding any questions, comments, suggestions, complaints or concerns that you may have;
- Discuss any material you send in to the Editor for inclusion in the Flight magazine.
Secondly, we need your Personal Information for Contractual Purposes. We need to collect personal information so that we may manage your membership of the BSS. We will use your personal information to provide you with core member services, including a membership number and end of year renewal communications, for example subscription renewal.
Who do we share your personal information with?
We only share your personal information between BSS Committee members to manage our membership commitments to you. Committee members who need access to personal information will hold only the minimal data they require in order to effectively carry out the particular service they manage. The Committee will also periodically review who needs to process personal information, and will ensure that there is justification for these uses.
We do not share any personal information with our third party suppliers – a) the website host, and b) printing company for Flight magazine. The printing company has sight of Committee members’ details, through the printing of the Flight magazine, but these details are listed only if the Committee member has given us consent to do so. The Flight magazine is distributed by a Committee member and not by the printing company. Similarly, the webhost for the BSS website will also have sight of the Committee Members’ personal details, and again, these are listed only when we have consent from the Committee.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
All personal information is predominantly held on secure electronic applications, and very occasionally in printed form, protected in a secure environment. Your data is accessed only by Committee members for the purposes set out above.
How long we keep your personal information?
We will only keep your personal information for the period of your membership in order that we may provide you with relevant membership services. As soon as you leave the Society, your Personal Information will be deleted from our membership database. This will include the scenario of failure to renew your subscription.
Keeping you in control
We want to make sure that you remain in control of your personal data. You have a number of rights under the GDPR. These include the right to:
- See the personal information we hold about you;
- Request personal data to be amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
- Request the deletion or removal of your personal information where there is no compelling reason for its continued use;
- Change the way we communicate with you. This is currently decided by you on joining the BSS, for example, do you wish to have Flight posted to you, or emailed to you. You can change these preferences at any time, but please be aware that this will alter your membership subscription cost
If you wish to exercise any of your rights, or have concerns about the processing of your personal data, or wish to raise any issues in relation to data protection, please contact the Membership Secretary.
If you believe that your data protection or privacy rights have been infringed, you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates and enforces data protection law in the U.K. Details of how to do this can be found at www.ico.org.uk